Many homes in Indiana make use of furnaces as their heating equipment. This appliance, designed with longevity in mind, can last for a long time – given that users take good care of it and have professionals routinely conduct maintenance. However, cases wherein furnaces suddenly break down or malfunction can are common.
Apart from normal wear and tear, improper installation, neglect, and improper use can cause these heaters to stop working properly. The worse thing that can happen is for these heating systems to produce carbon monoxide (CO) that can lead to serious health effects like poisoning and even deaths. This is why Legacy Heating & Air says it’s advisable to always have the furnace serviced by professionals.
According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 400 fatalities occur due to accidental CO poisoning, and these exclude those associated with house fires. Malfunctioning furnaces and gas/wood burning appliances cause many of these accidents. CO poisoning also accounts for over 20,000 emergency room visits, while 4,000 cases of hospitalizations occur due to injuries related to exposure to this tasteless, odorless gas.
You should keep in mind that CO poisoning comes with symptoms similar to other types of illnesses, particularly those that usually take place during the cold season. Headaches, nausea, and fatigue are just some of them. Although you may think that these symptoms are only due to cold-season illnesses, you should still visit your primary physician, especially if you have noticed or you know you have a faulty furnace.
There are plenty of ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and other dangers associated with exposure to this gas. One is through routine inspection and tune-up of your furnace.
Regularly invest in an Indiana furnace service provider, so that you can fix problems with the heater before they become bigger and start poisoning your home.